France Student Visa Guide

Visa de long séjour etudes (long-stay visa): If you want to study for longer than six months, then you need to apply for this visa. This type of study visa lasts for the duration of your course in France i.e. three years for bachelors, two years for masters and four years for a Ph.D. Long-stay visas act as residence permits and are called VLT-TS.


You should provide two sets of application photocopies containing the following documents:

  • 1. Long stay application form for the duration of more than 90 days
  • 2. Two passport size photographs
  • 3. A copy of Passport
  • 4. A print out of your Campus France ID number
  • 5. Letter of registration from the academic Institution
  • 6. Cover letter explaining the study project and a CV/Resume
  • 7. Proof of funds – tuition fees + a minimum of 615 Euros/month, for the complete academic term
  • 8. Proof of medical insurance with coverage valid in France
  • 9. Copy of your round-trip airline ticket (if you are studying for six months or less) or a one-way ticket if you are studying in France for more than six months)
  • 10. OFII form (Office Francais de Immigration et de Integration)
  • 11. Proof of residency in France such as a lease, electricity bill, title of property etc. for a minimum of three months or a hotel reservation
  • 12. Copy of the CV
  • 13. Copies of the degree and academic diplomas, certificates


Post Study Work Permits for Indian Students in France

Simply put, students who are planning to take up small and short-term courses in France cannot stay in France. Only students who are taking up long-term courses like bachelors and masters and have a Visa de Long Sejour Etudes or Long Stay Study Visa for France get the permission to stay on in the country after completing the course.

A student, upon completing the studies in France, must as per the immigration rules of the country, leave France. S/He can, however, apply for a residence permit for France if s/he has paid employment. This is applicable for both bachelor and master’s program and students would have to apply for a work permit.

For master’s students, however, there is good news. While bachelor degree holders can stay on only if they have a work permit, the students pursuing Masters from France get an added advantage. On completing the master’s course, a student can apply for and get a temporary residence permit – APS, for a period of 24 months.

(It is important to note that earlier the rule stated 12 months and to which all students the 24 month period would be applicable is still not clear. The current visa holders already staying in France or started their course in August 2016 must seek clarification from the Visa Office.)

What is important to understand that this extended residence permit allows a student only to take up part-time employment of up to 964 hours – as allowed to students already studying in French Universities. This relates to about 60% of full employment. If a student, in the interim, is able to find employment that is more than 1.5 times of the minimum wage guarantee, s/he must then apply for a Work Permit. So when deciding on which country to study in, keep these advantages of French opportunities in mind.

Cost of Visa

The Visa Fee for Long Stay National Visa for Study purposes is €50 for students applying for bachelors/ masters courses. For dual course applicants as well as exchange students, the fee is the same.

Apart from this charge, you would also be required to pay Visa Processing charge of €50 which is at present at INR 4076 as well as the VFS Service Fees and handling charges which amount to INR 1467 (inclusive of taxes). Please note the visa fee for applicants applying to the France Visa Application Centre in New Delhi and Kolkata is payable by a Bank Draft. Visa fee for applicants applying to the France Visa Application Centre in Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Goa, Chennai, and Puducherry is payable by cash only. Also, an optional courier facility is available at Rs 300 (inclusive of service tax) per application.

Note: It is always advisable to check with the embassy/ consulate before you submit your application about the Visa Fee as exchange rates are subject to change.